Simple Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Croutons
Ingredients25 m servings 338
- Top each toast slice with Cheddar cheese. Melt cheese with a kitchen torch until bubbling and golden, 30 seconds. (footnote: broiler)
- Melt butter in a pot over high heat. Cook and stir garlic in hot butter until fragrant and sizzling, about 15 seconds. Add stock to pot and bring to a boil. Stir broccoli into stock, pushing broccoli down into liquid; return to a boil and cook until broccoli is tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Puree broccoli mixture using an immersion blender until soup is smooth.
- Stir cream, cayenne pepper, and salt into soup; puree with immersion blender again until smooth, about 30 seconds. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese toast.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you don't have a kitchen torch you can melt the cheese onto the toast in your oven's broiler.
- If you don't have an immersion blender you can puree the soup in batches in a food processor or blender.
Per Serving: 338 calories; 21.6 24.9 14.3 65 1105 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
If you are looking for a baseline recipe for any veg soup, this is IT. Chef John's recipes are always easy to follow, and this one is perfect as is. I like to modify recipes, but always after I'...
UPDATE: Now when I make this soup I don't use heavy cream, just a bit of 2% milk does the trick, with less fat. I use Vegetable Broth too. It is such a healthy soup, and SO GOOD! I made this...
Great recipe. Quick and simple! Instead of the cheesy bread I added about 1 1\2 cups of shredded cheddar to the soup and a squeeze of lemon. Delish.
Excellent! Quick and simple. I did add one finely diced shallot with the garlic & butter. I used both the cayenne pepper and 1/4 tsp white pepper. Pure comfort food & pretty healthy too.
Fantastic! I might have added too much broccoli as it was very thick. Almost like spit pea soup thick. For extra flavor I fried up 1/2 an onion along with 2 cloves of garlic. It was not over fla...
I made this soup in less than an hour. It was delish, although I need a bit more depth. I added broccoli trunks and asparagus stems. Next time I will add kale or spinach for depth and maybe a fe...
Just picked some broccoli from the garden. Both my husband and I loved the soup and the cheese crouton bread. will definitely make this again
Easy to make, quick, and delicious. I didn't have whipping cream, so I substituted a 1/3 cup of half n half mixed with a half tablespoon of melted butter. I also added some chopped Canadian ba...