Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 625 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray two 9x13-inch baking dishes with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water with olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil; add whole wheat penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 7 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- Cook and stir turkey, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, remaining salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper together in a large skillet over medium-low heat until turkey is browned and crumbly, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and discard grease.
- Place sausages in a pot and cover with cold water; bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sausages are no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
- Remove and discard sausage casings; chop sausage and stir into turkey mixture. Stir penne, 1 1/2 jars tomato-basil sauce, diced tomatoes, shredded block of mozzarella-style vegan cheese, 1 package shredded mozzarella-style vegan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and remaining black pepper into turkey-sausage mixture.
- Spread the remaining tomato-basil sauce in the bottoms of the prepared baking dishes. Divide turkey-sausage mixture between the baking dishes and top each with remaining shredded mozzarella-style cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can make this a vegan dish by substituting veggies (such as mushrooms, yellow squash, carrots, zucchini, bell peppers) for the meats. Saute chopped veggies in a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil until slightly tender. If you do this, I recommend decreasing the sauce amount to 1 jar and omitting the diced tomato or the diced tomato liquid.
- If you are not lactose intolerant you can use real cheese, if desired.
Per Serving: 625 calories; 31.8 g fat; 49.7 g carbohydrates; 30.8 g protein; 50 mg cholesterol; 2127 mg sodium. Full nutrition