Georgina's True English Butter Tarts
Ingredients45 m servings 186 cals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place tart shells on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edge of crust is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Position a rack in the upper 1/3 of the oven.
- Whisk brown sugar, golden syrup, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt together in a bowl until smooth. Fill pastry shells with sugar mixture about 2/3-full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until filling foams and is bubbly and golden, about 15 minutes. Remove pan and cool for a few minutes on a wire rack; serve warm or at room temperature.
- Cook's Notes:
- Good tarts should have a light brown, bubbly, soft-crust, and should be gooey, with a bit of liquid (syrup) inside. They should not be jelly-like, or 'jammy'. The tarts will fall as they cool.
- Do not substitute anything for the butter; this will affect the taste and consistency. Margarine will make them oily and wet.
- Golden syrup is an English molasses-type product; it is clear and thick. Popular brand Tate & Lyle's® is preferable, but light golden corn syrup should make a good substitute if necessary.
- Raisins or nuts can be added for a variation: place raisins or nuts into the shells, before adding the filling.
Per Serving: 186 calories; 7.7 g fat; 29 g carbohydrates; 1.5 g protein; 34 mg cholesterol; 116 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
For the first time making this recipe I was pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to make and remove from the oven without much fuss. Unfortunately some stuck to the bottom of the pan and m...
First time ever making butter tarts. They were very yummy & easy to make but I had to cook them a fair bit longer than stated in the directions as the filling was pretty runny once I bit into th...
First off - love the simplicity of this recipe. It is perfect. I did however make an alteration - I added 2tbs of cream to the butter mix and I used 50/50 butter margarine mix. I have done th...
For how easy these were, I give them 5 stars! They are sweet and delicious! I used store bought tart shells that were 3 inches but aren't very deep, and had lots of filling left. Next time I wi...
very good! i only made a third of the recipe and it was enough to fill 15 store-bought tart shells. i love the consistency (no runniness) and none of the tarts overflowed in the oven.