Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 333
- Boil 1 cup apple cider in a small pot until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Beat white sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well before each addition. Mix buttermilk and reduced apple cider into creamed butter mixture.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg together in a bowl. Slowly stir flour mixture into creamed butter mixture just until dough is combined.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle dough with flour and roll to 1/2-inch thickness, adding more flour if dough is sticky. Cut dough into doughnuts using a 3-inch-wide doughnut cutter and arrange on a baking sheet; refrigerate until chilled, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat at least 3 inches of oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons apple cider together in a bowl until glaze is smooth.
- Fry doughnuts in the hot oil, 2 to 3 at a time, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Pour glaze over warm doughnuts.
- Cook's Note:
- Low-fat or non-fat buttermilk won't change the taste.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 333 calories; 8.8 58.9 5.2 42 336 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I have made these several times and the one thing I did change was I used 1/2 cup of home made chunky applesauce instead of the apple cider. It totally makes them amazing, you do end up using ab...
I followed the recipe as written and while it was easy to prepare the recipe really lacked overall flavor and didn't taste anything like apples or apple cider, they were overall flavorless.
Never made donuts before but this was a great cake donut recipe. The leftovers were even delicious 2 days later!! 5yr old and hubby said I should make donuts every weekend now!