Ingredients18 h 45 m servings 458
- Place cannellini beans in a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir pork shank, water, chicken stock, and bay leaves into onion mixture; bring to simmer, reduce heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer until flavors blend, about 45 minutes.
- Turn shank over and stir oregano, rosemary, and red pepper flakes into chicken stock mixture; add beans and stir. Return mixture to a simmer, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer until beans are almost tender, about 1 hour. Simmer uncovered until beans are tender, about 30 minutes more. Cool to room temperature, cover the pot, and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
- Spoon accumulated fat from the top of the chilled bean mixture and discard fat. Remove pork shank; cut meat into slices and discard bone.
- Stir sliced pork shank, tomato, gremolata, salt, and black pepper into bean mixture over medium heat; cook and stir until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Make the gremolata by using this recipe for Chef John's Gremolata.
Per Serving: 458 calories; 11.7 51.5 38.6 74 1189 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I don't know if it was my smoked pork shanks (a real possibility) or my fresh herbs, but this had a very bitter taste. I had to do some majoring doctoring to correct this. Sorry, Chef John - it...
Is s wonderful soup. I’ve made it as is, and with modifications when I don’t have the exact same ingredient
Very hearty recipe. Great techniques to learn in this recipe. I went the extra mile and made the gremolata and wasn't sorry.
I didn't have fresh herbs so used dried and it was perfect. Put half the meat in the dish and then used the other half for potato soup. Yummy recipe!