Ingredients50 m servings 396
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot butter until softened, about 3 minutes. Crumble pork sausage and spicy pork sausage into onion; cook and stir until sausage is browned and cooked through and onions are tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir flour, salt, and black pepper into sausage mixture, adding additional butter if mixture is too dry, and cook until flour begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour milk into sausage mixture, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, adding more milk if mixture is too thick. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend, about 20 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Gravy can be held, covered, in a 200 degrees F (95 degrees C) oven for up to an hour before serving. You will have to add a little more milk because it will thicken while waiting to be served.
- Gravy can also be made one day in advance and just reheated over low heat, stirring occasionally, or in a 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) oven for 20 to 30 minutes. If time allows, bring to room temperature before reheating.
- Gravy freezes beautifully so make a full recipe while you're at it.
Per Serving: 396 calories; 24.8 22.9 19.3 71 923 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
This was a great breakfast! I like the mix of spicy and mild sausage and the addition of minced onion. This added some nice flavor to traditional sausage gravy. Will make this again!
A very good basic recipe! I used Maple Venison Sausage only... The onions and salt and pepper was enough. I prefer Corn Starch to thicken my gravy.. otherwise you can't go wrong using this rec...
Made it Loved it! However didn't use as much sausage as called for and I forgot the butter but I loved it. Must try recipe.
Family doesn't care for onions in gravy. Used Carnation can milk plus a can of water.
Made biscuits and gravy for the first time. This recipe is awesome. I probably should have added a little more milk. Having never made it before, I wasn't sure how much it would thicken while si...
I added some Italian spice blend, other than that followed the recipe as written.It was really good and filling. Next time i'm going to take a smaller portion, as I couldn't finish, and hubby ha...
Excellent! This was the first time I attempted homemade gravy. This recipe tasted just like the gravy my mom used to make!