Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 40 m servings 87 cals
Original recipe yields 40 servings
- Put pickles and onions in a colander; stir in salt and top with ice. Let mixture sit for 3 hours.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, cloves, celery seed, and turmeric together in a large pot; bring to a boil. Cook and stir vinegar mixture until sugar is dissolved into syrup, about 10 minutes.
- Drain pickles and onions and add to syrup; bring to a boil and cook until onions are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack pickles and syrup into hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of salt. The actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 87 calories; 0.2 g fat; 21.7 g carbohydrates; 0.3 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 41 mg sodium. Full nutrition