Ingredients5 h 35 m servings 390 cals
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook beef shank, oxtail pieces, and ginger in hot oil, turning occasionally, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add star anise, fennel seed, coriander seed, cloves, cinnamon stick, and cardamom pod to the pot and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir water, onion, garlic, white sugar, and bay leaf into beef mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until broth is flavorful and meat is falling off the bone, 5 to 6 hours. Remove meat and reserve. Strain broth into a pot; discard strained spices and vegetables.
- Chop beef shank meat and add to broth in pot; stir in fish sauce and soy sauce. Bring broth to a simmer and reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Place rice noodles in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside until noodles are softened, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Place a handful of bean sprouts in the bottom of a large soup bowl. Top with a large handful of prepared rice noodles and drop a few jalapeno slices over noodles. Ladle beef broth into bowl to cover noodles.
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the broth ingredients. The actual amount of the broth consumed will vary.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 390 calories; 14.5 g fat; 33.9 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 89 mg cholesterol; 528 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
I took a lot of liberties with this recipe but absolutely love this spice combination! This my favorite recipe for making soup base. I used 2 qts beef broth + 1qt vegetable broth as I didn’t h...
This is actually a pretty elaborate process to make this delectable broth, well worth the trouble to find the actual whole seed/pod spices and beef cuts because they are what makes this unique f...
I made the broth yesterday as written and am having this for dinner tonight. As is it's pretty good but it's lacking a major ingredient... SALT! It's just a spiced up water otherwise. I added so...
I added about 5 more table spoons of fish sauce and another couple of soy sauce then it was perfect. I also throw in beef tendon.
Pretty darn good ! I didn't have any of the seed spices so I used ground spices instead. I grated two inches of ginger into the broth and added grated carrot to the bowl before serving.
I def had to add more salt and I braised the meat prior to putting it all in the crock pot in high for about 5 hrs.