Short Ribs Braised with Mushrooms and Tomatoes
Ingredients3 h servings 362
- Combine mushrooms and water in a bowl; soak until mushrooms are rehydrated, about 30 minutes. Drain mushrooms and reserve liquid; dice mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Season short ribs all over with salt and black pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook short ribs in hot oil until browned on all sides, 7 to 12 minutes. Transfer ribs to a Dutch oven.
- Return skillet to heat and saute onion with a pinch of salt in hot pan until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir mushrooms into onion mixture.
- Pour reserved mushroom liquid into skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir beef broth, tomato sauce, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf into onion mixture.
- Pour tomato mixture over short ribs into Dutch oven and cover Dutch oven with a lid.
- Cook short ribs in the preheated oven until short ribs are fork-tender, about 2 hours.
Per Serving: 362 calories; 29.9 6.3 16.5 58 557 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 34
Can't go wrong with any of Chef John"s recipes! This is delicious the next day. I made one change and that was to add a chopped carrot in with the onions. Just do it all in your dutch oven on th...
This is a very nice and simple braised short rib recipe. Chef John is correct when he advised chilling and then serving the next dsy to develop flavor. The only problem I had was the braising ti...
I sort of combo'd this recipe with Chef John's Sherry Braised Beef Short Ribs and the dish came out AMAZING! I was not able to find bone in beef ribs in any of 4 local grocery stores. I set...
This was the bomb! The only spice I added in addition to what was listed in the recipe was a teaspoon of smoked paprika. I agree to cook the day before, grease rose to the top of the dish and th...
Delicious! Fresh sliced white mushrooms worked okay. Also in bottom of Dutch oven I placed a layer of lightly sautéed, chopped small, carrot and celery. I glazed the pan with a little red wine. ...
SO GOOD!! I will make this regularly!! I served the short ribs and ragu over polenta; it was fabulous!! Equally as good (if not better because it was homemade!!) as the short ribs over polenta ...
The best short rib recipe out there. So easy and delicious. The only change I made was to double the garlic. Made for a dinner party and it was a big hit! Will be part of our regular recipe...
I added fine dice of celery, and carrot. Fresh rosemary and thyme.