Short Ribs Braised with Mushrooms and Tomatoes
Ingredients3 h servings 362
- Combine mushrooms and water in a bowl; soak until mushrooms are rehydrated, about 30 minutes. Drain mushrooms and reserve liquid; dice mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Season short ribs all over with salt and black pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook short ribs in hot oil until browned on all sides, 7 to 12 minutes. Transfer ribs to a Dutch oven.
- Return skillet to heat and saute onion with a pinch of salt in hot pan until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir mushrooms into onion mixture.
- Pour reserved mushroom liquid into skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir beef broth, tomato sauce, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf into onion mixture.
- Pour tomato mixture over short ribs into Dutch oven and cover Dutch oven with a lid.
- Cook short ribs in the preheated oven until short ribs are fork-tender, about 2 hours.
Per Serving: 362 calories; 29.9 6.3 16.5 58 557 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 32
Can't go wrong with any of Chef John"s recipes! This is delicious the next day. I made one change and that was to add a chopped carrot in with the onions. Just do it all in your dutch oven on th...
This is a very nice and simple braised short rib recipe. Chef John is correct when he advised chilling and then serving the next dsy to develop flavor. The only problem I had was the braising ti...
This was the bomb! The only spice I added in addition to what was listed in the recipe was a teaspoon of smoked paprika. I agree to cook the day before, grease rose to the top of the dish and th...
Delicious! Fresh sliced white mushrooms worked okay. Also in bottom of Dutch oven I placed a layer of lightly sautéed, chopped small, carrot and celery. I glazed the pan with a little red wine. ...
I sort of combo'd this recipe with Chef John's Sherry Braised Beef Short Ribs and the dish came out AMAZING! I was not able to find bone in beef ribs in any of 4 local grocery stores. I set...
I couldn't decide between this recipe and Chef John's Sherry Braised Short Ribs, so I made this recipe as is, except I only added 1 1/2 cups beef broth and substituted 1/2 cup wine and 1 tablesp...
Chef John doesn't disappoint with this excellent yet simple recipe. I added some fresh shiitake mushrooms to the porcini since my wife and I are mushroom lovers. Served over soft polenta with s...
This was delicious and so easy to make. I increased the mushrooms and water to 1 1/2 cups each. Next time, I might even add more mushrooms. Because I added more mushrooms/water, I also increas...