Vegan Stout Stew
The Inquisitive Vegetarian
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 350 cals
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and soy sauce in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute seitan in hot oil until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, and garlic in hot oil until onions are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and slowly stir beer into vegetable mixture.
- Stir brown sugar, flour, thyme, salt, and black pepper into beer mixture; add seitan. Bring mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook until stew reduces and thickens, about 45 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- For a sweeter stew, add equal parts soy sauce and brown sugar and taste until desired flavor is reached.
- Editor's Note:
- Be sure to find a stout that is vegan for the recipe. Many stouts are not vegan.
Per Serving: 350 calories; 12.6 g fat; 34.5 g carbohydrates; 18.5 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 562 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Have made it 3 times with good reviews from vegans and non-vegans. Reduced seitan amount to 8oz (Upton's Naturals) because that was size of package, and it seemed the perfect amount to us. The...
I wan't able to find actual vegan stout before I was ready to cook this, so next time I will find, ahead of time, where I can buy that. I used Guiness; I think for my own tastes I would buy a ...
I have made this recipe three or four times, and it is a hit every time.