Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 801
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes; drain. Separate the potatoes and carrots. Place the drained potatoes back into the pot. Add milk and 2 tablespoons butter. Mash the potatoes, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the onions and saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the ground beef. Cook and stir until meat is no longer pink and begins to brown; drain excess fat. Stir in the tomato-basil sauce.
- Place the carrots in the bottom of an ungreased pie dish. Add the beef mixture evenly over the top of the carrots. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top of the beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, about 20 minutes.
- This is a versatile recipe that can be easily modified by substituting different vegetables.
Per Serving: 801 calories; 39.4 74.3 38.4 154 592 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
We thought this was good but needed just a little more seasoning for our taste - I would add salt and pepper to the meat while cooking, and a handful of cheddar cheese to the potatoes once mashe...
This was pretty good but does need some seasoning added both to the meat. I will also make a cheesy mashed potato with garlic topping if I make it again to give it a little more flavor. This s...
This simple recipe can use just a little boost by seasoning the meat with thyme and rosemary. I also add peas as you would find in a traditional shepherds pie.
It turned out great! the wife loved it. I just seasoned the meat with minced garlic, salt and pepper, and I added about 1/4 cup asiago cheese and 2 TBSP of parmesan to the mashed potatoes. Del...