Seitan Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
"Quick, easy vegetarian dinner that is a guaranteed success! This recipe hinges on the quality of the seitan that is used. We make our own. For people in the Northeast, Susie's® sliced seitan is very good and comes in a variety of flavors. We add and subtract veggies based on what finicky kids will eat that day."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients35 m servings 688 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper until onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer vegetable mixture to a bowl.
- Pour remaining olive oil into the skillet over medium heat; add seitan and cook, turning frequently, until browned on all sides, 5 to 10 minutes. Return vegetable mixture to skillet and mix with seitan; season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange hoagie rolls on a baking sheet and fill with seitan-veggie mixture. Place 1 provolone cheese slice over the filling of each sandwich.
- Heat sandwiches in the preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Per Serving: 688 calories; 22.7 g fat; 84.1 g carbohydrates; 36.8 g protein; 20 mg cholesterol; 1208 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I just had this and boy was it GOOD! I used homemade seitan and added a little garlic when I was sauteing the seitan up. I am wishing I had more.