Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 261
- Stir beef stock and lentils together in a large pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and keep at a simmer while preparing onion.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, cinnamon stick, ginger, turmeric, cumin, and black pepper in the hot oil until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes; add to stock mixture.
- Pour garbanzo beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, and quinoa into the stock mixture; stir and bring mixture to a boil. Stir parsley and cilantro into the stock mixture; reduce heat to low and cook mixture at a simmer until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Drizzle lemon juice over the soup before serving.
- Cook's Notes:
- To make the soup wholly vegetarian, trade out the beef stock for vegetable stock.
- If you do use quinoa, be sure to prepare it separately from the soup (1/2 cup unprepared = 1 cup prepared). Throwing it into the soup unprepared will cause it to absorb all the liquid and you will be left with a very, very thick stew.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 261 calories; 3.9 42 14.4 0 299 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 21
I picked this recipe even though it had only a few reviews because I needed something high in fiber and protein that even my rambunctious 15 month old would eat and an easy reheat meal. It's wo...
Meat Addition review: I was looking for a 15 bean soup recipe and found this gem. I added 2 lbs of Italian pork sausage (because that's what I had) cooked up with spices and the onion. I added f...
I made this recipe following it exactly. It was wonderful. The spices give this soup a delicious exotic flavor.
Great soup and very easy to prepare. I didn't have any cilantro but luckily added some after cooking. Cilantro really makes the soup.
Fantastic. My favourite harira recipe of the few I've tried. Spices are perfect.
We substituted vegetable stock for the beef stock, and then needed to add more salt. Loved the spices in this.