Chef John's Grilled Game Hens
Ingredients3 h 55 m servings 417 cals
- Blend jalapeno pepper, habanero pepper, garlic, vegetable oil, sherry vinegar, mayonnaise, and 2 teaspoons salt together in a blender until marinade is smooth.
- Place halved hens in a large bowl. Pour marinade over the chickens and turn to coat completely. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove hens from marinade, shaking off any excess, place hens on a plate, skin-side up. Discard remaining marinade. Season skin-side of hens with salt.
- Cook hens on the preheated grill, turning occasionally, until skin is crisped, meat is no longer pink at the bone, and juices run clear, about 45 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Cook's Note:
- You can substitute chickens for the Cornish game hens.
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the marinade ingredients. The actual amount of the marinade consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 417 calories; 33.3 g fat; 1.6 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 154 mg cholesterol; 1277 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
this was super tasty.. game hen is $2.49/lb here in socal.. and i can get chicken quarters for $0.69/lb so that's what i went with.. i used 4 thighs and 1 drumstick and it was very tasty.. bf sa...
For the marinade, I used a whole head of garlic, oil, apple cider vinegar, an egg, salt, pepper, Thai green curry paste, and capers. Blend. Spatchcocked the Cornish hen. Placed in a zip lock w...
I don’t very often review recipes unless they are out of this world amazing. THIS WAS! I didn’t take the seeds out of the peppers and it was awesome otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. Gav...
I made this with chicken drumsticks instead of cornish hens. They came out fantastic. I was a little leery about how spicy they would be but maybe I was lucky with the peppers. They had a wonde...