Ingredients1 h servings 454
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels and crumble, reserving the drippings in the skillet.
- Cook and stir potatoes, celery, and onion in the bacon grease over medium heat until cooked through and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain grease from skillet and stir seafood seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder, thyme, and white pepper into vegetable mixture until evenly coated.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Whisk cornstarch into melted butter until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir half-and-half and milk into butter mixture until thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Drain juice from canned clams and stir juice into milk-butter mixture; add vegetable mixture and stir. Cook and stir soup until heated through but not boiling, about 5 minutes. Stir clams into soup and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle bacon and drizzle red wine vinegar over soup before serving.
- Cook's Note:
- You can adjust the thickness of your chowder by increasing or decreasing the amount of milk.
Per Serving: 454 calories; 24.5 26.4 31.1 127 845 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
awesome best clam chowder. easy, thick, flavorful definitely a keeper
I made a double batch --It was a hit , A little bit of work but well worth the effort
This chowder is really really good! It's the closest thing to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco that I've found. You don't need to change anything in the recipes at all.
This was good! I did reduce the butter and cornstarch by 1/2, as it seemed a bit too much for me, and that worked fine. It was the perfect thickness for us. This had a subtle, but nice flavor. T...
This was delicious! I made it for the second week in a row, this time cutting up the bacon, not removing it to put on top, so delish! Didn't put the red wine vinegar on top either time, it seeme...
I don't like potatoes in soups/chowders, so I sub'd in rice. I don't like celery, so I sub'd in carrots. Not a clam fan, so I sub'd in beef. Thought it might be too thick, so I used a beef b...