Ingredients35 m servings 608
- Stir 1/2 teaspoon salt into a pot of water; bring to a boil. Stir penne pasta into the boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes; drain.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir ham and mushrooms in hot butter until the mushrooms are softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir flour, remaining salt, and bay leaf into the ham mixture; cook and stir until flour begins to bind butter into a paste, about 2 minutes. Stream milk into the skillet while stirring. Melt Parmesan cheese into the milk mixture; add basil and continue cooking and stirring until the milk thickens into a sauce, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and immediately stir spinach into the sauce; add to drained pasta and stir to coat the pasta.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use 2 teaspoons fresh chopped basil in place of the dried, if preferred.
Per Serving: 608 calories; 30.9 57 27.8 84 1352 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
Very tasty, with a few tweaks. I followed the recipe for the most part, but added thinly sliced onions with the mushrooms. I also used fresh spinach which I added to the mushrooms and onions t...
Didn't add the spinach or bay leaf, and came out great. Next time I'd add peas or broccoli for some veggies.
Added onions and garlic as per other reviewer suggestions. Also used fresh spinach and wilted it with more garlic.
Excellent! As usual I can't just follow a recipe - I tweaked it a bit. I added a thinly sliced small onion and some minced garlic from reading the reviews. Made this with fresh spinach, just wil...
Very easy recipe. Creamy and cheesy. Great way to use up ham. I used skim milk so I don't think it was as 'high fat' as a person might think. I used ground bay leaf seasoning rather than the ...