Grilled Sausage-Stuffed Calamari
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 228
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and red pepper with a pinch of salt in hot oil until onion is soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Stir sausage, minced tentacles, onion mixture, parsley, egg, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper together in a bowl until evenly combined. Transfer mixture to a piping bag.
- Pipe sausage mixture into tubes, filling about each tube about 2/3 full. Thread a toothpick through the top of each tube to fasten the opening together. Place stuffed tubes on a plate, cover the plate with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Brush tubes with remaining olive oil to coat on all sides and season with salt.
- Cook stuffed calamari on the preheated grill, turning occasionally, until stuffing is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 155 degrees F (68 degrees C).
- Cook's Note:
- You can substitute any spicy, garlicky sausage for the Italian sausage.
Per Serving: 228 calories; 13.5 7.9 17.8 236 399 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I was skeptical about this one but had to try it and it came out very good. I was surprised the calamari crisped up and didn't get rubbery. Since you can stuff them with about anything, grilling...
This recipe was quite labor-intensive, but I think it was worth it. I will play around with the stuffing and seasonings next time.
Outstanding! I learned how to clean a squid! There were enough for four but we ate them all! This is a keeper but next time I will by the squid tubes and make it easier.