Sweet Cornmeal Cake Brazilian-Style
Ingredients40 m servings 508
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F (170 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch round cake pan.
- Blend cornmeal, sugar, milk, coconut milk, flour, eggs, and vegetable oil in a blender until smooth; add baking powder and blend to integrate. Pour the cornmeal mixture into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- I use coconut oil but, for neutral flavor, use canola oil.
- In Brazil, people usually mix a pinch of fennel seeds into the batter. This is how my mother makes it. I use walnuts instead, just because I add walnuts to everything.
- Brown sugar and white sugar can be used interchangeably in this recipe, to taste preference.
- You can use 2 cups of regular milk, if you don't like coconut milk, in which case the amount of oil should be increased to 1 full cup.
Per Serving: 508 calories; 18.3 79.2 8.1 72 106 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I have made this twice, in different ways, and this is going to be my preferred method: Use an entire 400 ml can of coconut milk (this is the reason for the rest of the tweaks--reducing the milk...
Loved it. Used all milk instead of coconut milk since I didn't have any. Not great the next day. Ended up being a little dry. I think next time I'll add butter to it, see if that keeps it from ...
It was really good and moist. Great for gluten intolerant kiddos. I only put 4 stars since I made a few changes: I used only 1 cup cornmeal and 1 cup maïzena instead of all-purpose flour (very ...