Sweet Cornmeal Cake Brazilian-Style
Ingredients40 m servings 508
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F (170 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch round cake pan.
- Blend cornmeal, sugar, milk, coconut milk, flour, eggs, and vegetable oil in a blender until smooth; add baking powder and blend to integrate. Pour the cornmeal mixture into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- I use coconut oil but, for neutral flavor, use canola oil.
- In Brazil, people usually mix a pinch of fennel seeds into the batter. This is how my mother makes it. I use walnuts instead, just because I add walnuts to everything.
- Brown sugar and white sugar can be used interchangeably in this recipe, to taste preference.
- You can use 2 cups of regular milk, if you don't like coconut milk, in which case the amount of oil should be increased to 1 full cup.
Per Serving: 508 calories; 18.3 79.2 8.1 72 106 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I have made this twice, in different ways, and this is going to be my preferred method: Use an entire 400 ml can of coconut milk (this is the reason for the rest of the tweaks--reducing the milk...
Loved it. Used all milk instead of coconut milk since I didn't have any. Not great the next day. Ended up being a little dry. I think next time I'll add butter to it, see if that keeps it from ...
Made it without the coconut milk. Used 1cup white sugar and half cup brown sugar. Everyone loves it. Will use this as my goto from now on.
It was really good and moist. Great for gluten intolerant kiddos. I only put 4 stars since I made a few changes: I used only 1 cup cornmeal and 1 cup maïzena instead of all-purpose flour (very ...