Crazy-Simple Cottage Ham, Potatoes, and Green Beans
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 722 cals
- Put ham into a Dutch oven. Arrange potato halves, green beans, and onion slices around the ham. Pour enough water into the pot to cover the vegetables completely.
- Place a cover on the pot and bring the water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer mixture until potatoes are completely soft, about 55 minutes.
- Remove ham to a cutting board to slice to desired thickness; serve with vegetables.
- Cook's Note:
- Cottage ham is also known as a cottage butt, smoked pork butt, or smoked pork shoulder butt
- This recipe can be prepared using a slow cooker set to Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Green beans can be fresh or frozen without affecting cook time.
- Any firm variety of potatoes may be used, but cook time should be shortened for smaller varieties.
Per Serving: 722 calories; 42.4 g fat; 35.6 g carbohydrates; 47.4 g protein; 127 mg cholesterol; 3461 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 11
I had a craving for ham yesterday and found a 2 lb. cottage ham at a local grocery. I'd never heard of that type but noticed they were rather pricey so I figured it was most likely a finer cut. ...
This is one fo the easiest meals and my family loves it. It is even better the next day!
This is great! I have been making this exact recipe now for 41 years and I was also raised on it! My mother made it at least twice a month! We always get our Hams from an old fashioned butche...
I made a double recipe using half of a giant sale ham just to do something with it and we loved it. Made mostly to recipe except that I couldn't resist adding fresh ground pepper and stock (bee...
Delicious!! My mom used to make this but never had a recipe. This is it!!!! I didn't change a thing and it was scrumptiously perfect. Thank you for posting it...it has brought back delicious...
Mom made this recipe with additional fresh quarters of cabbage, no onions. Crusty Italian bread was awesome to dip in the broth! I use Turkey ham now (low salt, low fat) but it doesn't have the ...
Thought this was a fairly good recipe. I altered it slightly. I used slices of our leftover spiral ham instead of a cottage ham; I sauteed the onions for a few minutes in some olive oil first ...
This was my first recipe for 2018 and what a great treat! I followed the recipe exactly; the only thing I did differently was I cooked it in my crockpot. I also used a regular ham. Simply delici...