Ingredients1 h servings 252
- Combine rhubarb, apples, 1/2 cup white sugar, and water together in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir rhubarb mixture until rhubarb is tender and compote is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Mix 2/3 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup margarine, egg, and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Stir milk and stir into the sugar mixture. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl. Mix flour mixture into wet mixture until batter is just moistened; pour into the prepared baking dish. Spoon enough compote over cake to make about 1/2-inch-thick layer, reserving any leftover compote for another use.
- Stir oats, 1/2 cup margarine, 1/2 cup white sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl until crumbly; sprinkle over compote layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- You will have leftover compote after spreading a layer over the cake batter.
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the compote. The actual amount of the compote consumed will vary.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 252 calories; 9.5 40.3 3.3 13 207 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
WoW.. I made half the recipe, baked it for 40 minutes , added chopped walnuts to the oat mixture.. yumm. Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe!
I halved the recipe for a 9x9 pan but next time I would make the whole recipe in a 9x9 pan. I used 8 thin stalks of rhubarb and no apples, 40 minutes was perfect in my oven, for a full recipe I ...
8x8 was too small.. used a 9 x 12... delicious! Now I've made it again and used frozen currants and gooseberries (cooked down) for the fruit!
I made this because I had some cooked rhubarb in the freezer that I wanted to use. I followed the recipe but exchanged the margarine for butter for both the cake and topping. I eliminated the ap...