Street Taco with Mango Salsa
"We are not vegetarian but like to eat healthy. I created this because we love to substitute grains and sometimes tofu for meat. When I make one that my husband raves about, I like to share it. Don't be afraid to try a variety of grains as meat substitutes. Doesn't have to always be tofu. Feel free to use ground turkey, pork, or chicken. Play with the spices. I sure do! Enjoy."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 309 cals
Original recipe yields 10 servings (10 tacos)
- Bring water and freekeh to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until freekeh is tender and liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion, green bell pepper, tofu, mushrooms, garlic, and serrano chile pepper until vegetables are tender and tofu is lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Add corn, black beans, and freekeh; cook and stir until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir juice of 1/4 lemon, juice of 1/4 lime, cumin, 1 teaspoon white sugar, chili powder, coriander, paprika, and a pinch of salt into vegetable-tofu mixture; cook and stir until evenly coated and tofu is browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix tomatoes, mango, basil, cilantro, 2 tablespoons olive oil, juice of 3/4 lemon, juice of 3/4 lime, 1 tablespoon white sugar, oregano, and a pinch of salt together in a bowl until salsa is evenly combined.
- Spoon vegetable-tofu mixture into each corn tortilla; top each with mango salsa, about 1 tablespoon feta cheese, and 1 tablespoon yogurt.
- Cook's Note:
- Allow tofu and mushrooms to brown on one side of the skillet if not using meat, as it helps to season these like meat!
Per Serving: 309 calories; 9.3 g fat; 48.4 g carbohydrates; 12.4 g protein; 9 mg cholesterol; 427 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1