Spiced Ginger-Peach Ice Cream
"This started as an experiment with a custard-style ice cream base and has become a requested favorite for get-togethers. The sweetness of the peach and smooth cream gets a boost from the earthy spices without being overpowering. I eat it plain but a few friends enjoy it in ice cream sandwiches."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 55 m servings 426
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Whisk milk, sugar, and salt together in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Stir peach puree, ginger, cinnamon, and vanilla extract; simmer until flavors blend, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl. Slowly pour 1/2 cup hot milk mixture into eggs, whisking constantly. Pour warmed egg mixture into the milk mixture in the saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Strain egg mixture into a chilled bowl and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Whisk cream into chilled egg mixture; add peaches and stir.
- Pour peach mixture into the container of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Cook's Notes:
- Tempering the eggs and straining the mix will help reduce any egg bits from cropping up and give a smoother texture for the finished custard ice cream.
- Half-and-half can be substituted for cream.
Per Serving: 426 calories; 32.4 31.7 4.4 214 152 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I don't know if I did something wrong or just misunderstood the recipe, but when I mixed the peach puree into the simmering milk, the milk curdled. The only thing I could think of is that the pe...