Gluten-Free Vegan Stock for the Slow Cooker
"Vegetable stock for all your needs without the MSG and chemicals in industrial versions. This helps use up whatever veggies and fruit you might have around. Nothing goes to waste. Add any veggies you might have left over. I use the end pieces of green beans and whatever 'unwanted' outer parts of vegetables I get from cooking and keep them in a bag in the fridge until the next time I make stock. Even the peels of sweet potatoes and turnips make for good stock. Don't throw out anything."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients8 h 25 m servings 110
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Coat the bottom of a slow cooker crock with olive oil. Put celery, carrots, potato, onion, lettuce, beer, shallots, fennel, bell pepper, apple, parsley, peppercorns, lemon, ginger, tamari, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and bay leaf into the slow cooker crock. Pour water over the ingredients.
- Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours, or on High for 4 hours.
- Remove and discard all solid chunks from the liquid using a slotted spoon.
- Line a colander with cheesecloth and set over a large pot; strain broth through the cheesecloth.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the vegetables. The actual amount of vegetable nutrients consumed will vary.
- As with all diet-specific recipes, check any processed ingredients to assure they adhere to your dietary standards.
- Cook's Note:
- Store stock in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 110 calories; 3.7 17.3 2.8 0 330 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I'm the submitter of this recipe. There is an error in the ingredients list. It should read 10 whole peppercorns not 10 Tablespoons. I've asked AR to change this. Thank you. UPDATE: The ingredie...