Smoky Penne and Cheese with Ham and Kale
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 566 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x12-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain and return pasta to pot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons oil and butter together in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk flour into hot oil-butter mixture until mixture has a paste-like consistency. Cook, whisking constantly, until flour mixture is light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Pour milk into flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, whisking thoroughly until mixture is smooth between additions. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Mix Gouda cheese and Gruyere cheese into milk mixture until completely melted; add Pecorino Romano cheese and stir until melted. Stir 1 tablespoon pepper into cheese mixture. Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute garlic, pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper in hot oil until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add kale; saute until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir cheese sauce, kale, and turkey ham into penne; mix thoroughly. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until sauce is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can substitute olive oil for the canola oil. You can substitute ham steak for the turkey ham. You can substitute 2% milk for the whole milk.
Per Serving: 566 calories; 27.1 g fat; 52.8 g carbohydrates; 29.3 g protein; 82 mg cholesterol; 708 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Made this last week. Made it with spinach and ham instead of kale and turkey ham. It had a great flavor with all the cheeses, but once the spinach cooked down it wasn't that much so next time I ...