Healthy Eggplant Parmesan (No Frying Required)
Home Chef Joel
"A tasty, healthy version of the traditional eggplant Parmesan. Most eggplant Parmesan recipes call for the eggplant to be fried. By treating the eggplant with the olive oil and letting it bake, I have tried to make a healthier version. Great for a lunch or dinner. Can be served with a vegetable pasta with an olive oil and oregano dressing."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 295
Original recipe yields 3 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously coat the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Season cut sides of tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Arrange tomato halves into the skillet with the cut sides facing down. Reduce heat to medium-low, place a cover on the skillet, and cook tomatoes until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour water over the tomatoes, again cover the skillet, and continue cooking tomatoes until the skins begin to wrinkle and loosen from the flesh, about 5 minutes. Remove skins with tongs and discard. Mash tomatoes in the skillet until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir onion, bell pepper, celery, wine, tomato paste, parsley, basil, and garlic into the mashed tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the liquid reduces to about 2/3 its original volume, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven until the edges begin to brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Slice about 1/2 inch off each end of the eggplant; cut eggplant lengthwise into 6 equal slices. Lay each eggplant slice into the prepared baking dish; flip so both sides of each slice are coated in oil.
- Spoon tomato mixture in an even layer over the eggplant slices. Spread Gouda cheese over the tomato mixture in an even layer. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese evenly over the Gouda.
- Cook's Notes:
- The cooking of the tomatoes is not conventional, however I enjoy keeping the juices and flavors of the tomatoes. This combines fast and easy stewing with the full flavor of the tomato.
Per Serving: 295 calories; 18.8 17.1 13.4 35 419 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
CAUTION! STEPS 6 & 8 ARE FLIPPED AROUND! Thanks Annette ;) My toddler LOVES this recipe!