Chewy, Nutty, Healthy Granola Bars
"Chewy, nutty, chocolaty, and packed with tasty energy, no one will ever know these bars are low-fat and healthy! They're very easy to make and you can pack in everyone's favorite nuts and fruits. My family has now stopped buying Kashi® and chewy bars because we love these so much. These are gluten-free when made with rice flour and appear to be professionally made thanks to the small spoonful of corn syrup that keeps everything tightly combined and gives the bars a nice shine. Have fun experimenting with different combinations of nuts, dried fruits, and toppings! Almond butter works well, too!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 248 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Stir peanut butter and melted butter together in a bowl until smooth. Add brown sugar, honey, corn syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt; stir. Mix applesauce into peanut butter mixture.
- Combine oats and flour in a bowl; toss to coat oats with flour. Stir peanuts and raisins into oat mixture. Pour peanut butter mixture over the oat mixture; stir to coat completely. Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and continue baking until chocolate melts and edges begin to brown, about 5 minutes more. Spread melted chocolate chips with the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula to coat the top. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use whole wheat flour or rice flour instead of the all-purpose flour.
- You can use any nuts or dried fruit in place of the peanuts and raisins.
- If using Craisins® instead of raisins, consider cutting the amount of brown sugar slightly.
- For a larger flavor, use 6 tablespoons of melted butter. You can also substitute canola oil for the butter.
- If wrapped in plastic wrap or in baggies, these will keep in the fridge for 1 1/2 to 2 weeks and can be frozen for a month.
Per Serving: 248 calories; 12.4 g fat; 32.1 g carbohydrates; 5.6 g protein; 8 mg cholesterol; 155 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1