Garlic Fennel Flank Steak with Oranges
Ingredients2 h 40 m servings 319
- Grind black pepper and fennel seed together in a mortar with a pestle. Pour half the pepper mixture into a small bowl and stir in salt.
- Stir remaining pepper mixture, garlic, rosemary, 2 tablespoons olive oil, orange juice, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl.
- Rub rosemary mixture over both sides of flank steak, poking mixture into steak several times with a fork. Transfer steak to a resealable plastic bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Remove steak from marinade; scrape off and discard any excess marinade.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Sprinkle reserved pepper-fennel mixture over steak. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over orange halves.
- Cook steak on the preheated grill until it begins to firm and is reddish-pink and juicy in the center, about 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C). Remove to a plate to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing across the grain.
- Place oranges, flesh-side down, on the grill and cook until flesh is golden and caramelized, 3 to 5 minutes. Place steak and 3 orange halves on a serving platter. Squeeze remaining caramelized orange half over the steak.
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the marinade ingredients. The actual amount of the marinade consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 319 calories; 19.8 6.1 28.3 51 1219 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Made this for company; received rave reviews and requests for the recipe. I did double the ground pepper in the rub, but left the salt as per the recipe. Next time I would reduce the salt, as I...
I made this last night for my husband and son. I followed the recipe as written and we had quite the feast! The meat was so tender and had a wonderful taste. The fennel was perfect without being...