Olive Oil-Poached Tuna
Ingredients1 d 1 h 20 m servings 608 cals
- Let tuna rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes in a heavy skillet. Pour olive oil into skillet to reach a depth of 1 inch. Heat oil over medium heat until garlic and thyme begin to sizzle, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place tuna gently in hot oil and reduce heat to low. Cook steaks in hot oil, spooning oil over the top of the steaks constantly, until fish is white and hot, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer steaks to a baking dish, and pour hot oil and herbs over the fish. Cool fish and oil to room temperature.
- Wrap baking dish tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate steaks for 24 hours. Remove fish from oil and sprinkle sea salt over the top.
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for poaching based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 608 calories; 36 g fat; 1.3 g carbohydrates; 66.5 g protein; 109 mg cholesterol; 271 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
In this world there are many fine recipes. Then there are recipes considered a staple for the kitchen. This is such a recipe. What comfort there is knowing when this tuna confit is on hand rea...
This was a special delight! I could not believe how tender and tasty it was poaching the Ahi in olio
Not hard at all! I could not get fresh ahi tuna so I used frozen (thawed) filets. Everything else as written. The finished product had a pale pink tint in the center and was nice and flakey. I ...