The Shorba Freekeh of Algeria
Ingredients3 h 30 m servings 375 cals
- Blend tomatoes, onions, serrano pepper, anaheim pepper, zucchini, and garlic together in a blender until vegetables are completely pureed.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook lamb and beef with a pinch of salt, stirring occasionally, until lamb is cooked through and browned on all sides, about 25 minutes.
- Stir vegetable puree, vegetable bouillon, cumin, black pepper, paprika, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper into lamb mixture. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors begin to blend, about 35 minutes.
- Pour water and tomato paste into lamb mixture. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until lamb starts to tenderize, about 1 1/2 hours. Add freekeh; simmer until freekeh is incorporated into the soup, about 30 minutes.
- Stir peas and butter into soup. Remove pot from heat and stir cilantro into soup. Ladle soup into bowls and squeeze lemon juice into bowls.
Per Serving: 375 calories; 22.5 g fat; 24.3 g carbohydrates; 20.9 g protein; 62 mg cholesterol; 835 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This is an excellent dish. Although it takes a while to cook, the prep time is moderate. The flavors blend very nicely into a new combination that is not dominated by any one ingredient. I mod...
This is a warm variation on algerian traditional shorba. My husband and father in law love this soup and are algerian. I only use the stew meat but follow all other instructions.