Leftover Ham and Shrimp Slow Cooker Gumbo
Ingredients4 h 55 m servings 241
- Stir garlic, turmeric, chili powder, basil, and cayenne pepper together in a small saucepan; heat over medium heat until aromatic, about 1 minute. Melt butter into the mixture, add onion, and cook until the onion is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Scoop onion mixture from saucepan into a slow cooker, reserving as much butter in the saucepan as possible.
- Increase heat under saucepan to medium-high heat. Saute frozen shrimp in hot butter until just firm, about 2 minutes; transfer mixture to slow cooker. Add ham, ham bone, black beans, and tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- Cook on High until the ham on the bone is falling off, 4 to 6 hours (or on Low 6 to 8 hours).
- Remove and discard ham bone, stir coconut milk into the mixture, continue cooking on Low until the coconut milk is warmed, about 30 minutes.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 241 calories; 9.8 18.4 19.4 81 869 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 11
I have made this 3 times now and each time it has turned out great. The 1st time was as written, the 2nd time was with a chunk of pork butt roast, and tonight I used 7 boneless skinless chicken...
We loved it! Used whole can of Coconut milk (didn't want to waste the rest,) an extra can of beans and tomatoes, added extra chili powder, turmeric and cayenne pepper to taste. Served over rice....
This recipe was surprisingly good! My family gobbled it up. I loved the step of heating up the herbs and spices beforehand to make them aromatic. The only changes I made were 1) because I did no...
This was amazing flavorI used a ham bone from a hickory spiral ham . I also added frozen okra and the shrimp at the end of cooking. To thicken I added one cup of leftover rice. I think the spi...
I enjoyed this- used Rotel rather than tomatoes. I had a heavy hand with the chili powder as well.
I will make again, very tasty and easy. I added cooked, leftover rice with the coconut milk (whole can, why not?), only change. I did use popcorn shrimp, because I had them. They worked great...
I added 2 chicken Adouille sausage cut into 1/2 inch rounds and 2 cups sliced Okra and upped the Cayenne a bit. It is a keeper.
We loved it over rice. I did add a package of Andouille sausage. The flavor was deep and smokey.