Ginger Banana Bread
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 264
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat butter, white sugar, and brown sugar together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Stir bananas, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract into creamed butter mixture until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture until batter is just combined; pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 60 to 65 minutes. Cool bread in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you want to bake in a smaller pan, then shorten the baking time to 40 or 45 minutes. If you are using decorative wooden lattice bread pans (common during the holidays for gift-giving) remember to increase the temperature by 25 degrees.
- To make your mashed bananas, you can either mash them with a fork for that lumpy-bits-of-fruit experience or you can put them into the food processor for a very smooth result. I prefer to mix the lemon juice in with the bananas at this point to keep the fruit from browning while I'm preparing the batter.
- Remember that bananas increase dramatically in sugar content as they ripen. The more ripe the bananas the sweeter the bread will be. The greener a banana is, the more bite it will give the bread. Find the version that works best for your family. I personally like mine when the bananas have become soft and the skins are speckled with brown spots.
Per Serving: 264 calories; 8.9 43.6 3.8 51 223 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 22
Very nice banana bread. I admit, because of the name, I added more ginger (I love ginger.) I added 1/2 tsp. instead of 1/4th tsp. and also added some crystallized ginger to the batter. My ba...
This is a wonderful recipe. This is actually the 2nd time I have made it and while the basic recipe is great I did add a few things to mine: I increased the ginger from half to a full teaspoon,...
I've used this recipe many times and have NEVER been disappointed. Everyone loves it...my Bible Study group, my Church (made for events) and all the kids. Thank you so much for sharing it :-)
This was GREAT. I messed up a bit....no lemon or ginger at home. I used raw ginger but I didn't add enough. I added a finger sized piece. I should have added 5 or 6 times that amount, but I didn...
As per one ginger-loving reviewer, I used 1/2 tsp ginger. I used 3 good sized very ripe bananas, but don't know what that translates to in cups. Baked for 55 minutes, turned once during baking...
As with most quick breads, this tastes better the day after you make it. I think next time I'll play around with the spice levels a bit. All in all a good bread, though.
Aroma while baking was wonderful. Tasted sweet, with an excellent balance of flavors. Texture was very moist and luscious. I will be making this again.
I've made many banana breads over my many years, but this is seriously the best one ever. I don't know how many cups of mashed bananas I had because they were all shriveled up little things I'd...