Pastelon de Platano Maduro (Dominican-Style Yellow Plantain Pie)
Ingredients55 m servings 783 cals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place plantains and salt into a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until plantains turn a darker yellow; add 1 cup water to the pot, bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Mash plantains, milk, and butter together in the pot until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir ground beef, onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, garlic, and chicken bouillon, adding water if mixture gets too dry, in hot oil until beef is browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Spread 1/2 of the mashed plantains into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour meat mixture over the plantains and top with Cheddar cheese. Spread remaining mashed plantains over the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until plantains are golden and filling is bubbling, about 10 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- You can replace the filling with a vegetarian filling or add two fillings to please your audience. Also, you can add pimento-stuffed manzanilla olives to the filling. I love to have it with some avocado on the side and with a green salad.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 783 calories; 35.1 g fat; 100.6 g carbohydrates; 26.8 g protein; 107 mg cholesterol; 739 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
We make this in Puerto Rico too! Most of my family doesn't mash the plantain, they slice it and layer the bottom. I have eaten it both ways and it's so yummy!!
Turned out OK, but the store didn't have ripe plantains. Do NOT use green plantains! Or substitute with mashed potatoes, and voilá! Shepherd's pie!
That was a very nice discovery, easy, interesting and flavourful ! My 4 stars come from the fact that a little something was still missing to be really great : lime juice ? green chili ? pepper ...
I enjoyed this. I made it with ground chicken instead of beef since I don’t eat red meat. I’ll make it again.
Yes I have made this recipe and it is wonderful , the flavors and the steps onto making is actually fun.