Jamaican Curry Chicken
Ingredients50 m servings 348
- Whisk 2 tablespoons curry powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt, onion powder, salt, thyme leaves, allspice, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Add chicken and coat with curry mixture until curry mixture is wet and sticks to chicken.
- Heat oil and 2 tablespoons curry powder in a large cast-iron skillet over high heat until oil is hot and curry powder changes color, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken to the hot oil mixture and reduce heat to medium. Add water, potato, carrots, scallions, ginger, and chile pepper to skillet.
- Cover skillet and simmer until chicken is no longer pink in the center and gravy is thickened, allowing chicken to cook undisturbed for last 15 minutes of cooking, 30 to 40 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove chicken to a serving dish; continue simmering gravy, uncovered, to thicken (if needed). Serve chicken with gravy.
- Cook's Note:
- The key to curried chicken is allowing the curry to cook properly. Make sure your curry has had enough time to cook!
- Also try a meatless version with veggies in the place of chicken!
- I usually use just over half of the scotch bonnet pepper, but some peppers are hotter than others.
Per Serving: 348 calories; 20.3 13.8 27.8 103 1353 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 64
Wanted to clarify about adding the water. You add the water after you add the chicken, carrots, potatoes and seasonings to the oil and curry mixture. You add it gradually as the mixture thickens...
This tastes just like the curry chicken my mom's friend from St. Kitts used to make when I was young. As this is the exact taste I was going for, and I've never made curried chicken before, I'm ...
Super tasty! I would have given five stars but I made a few tweaks and it was also a bit too salty. Still highly edible but next time I will reduce the salt by 1/2 tsp. For substitutions I repl...
Absolutely LOVE this recipe!! I've actually made your recipe and fell head over heels in love with it!! Making it for my dad today.. He moved in with me about a week ago, and has never had curry...
My husband this was the best dinner ever! I've only been cooking for 6 months and made this with no problems. I substituted half the require water with coconut milk and added a lil flour to ma...
Just made this eating as I write this. came out great. I used to make this dish that I learned from my Jamaican friend and have also eaten this many times in Jamaica. I would suggest buying the ...
This was a good recipe. My husband enjoyed it. I added 1 cup of water, 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of chicken broth instead of 3 cups of water. I made rice and steamed cabbage for the sides.