Mildly Sweet Whiskey Chicken
Ingredients45 m servings 324 cals
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken thighs until no longer pink in the center and somewhat charred on the outside, about 7 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Let chicken cool until able to handle easily, cut into strips, and put into a large glass bowl.
- Stir pineapple juice, bourbon whiskey, soy sauce, garlic cloves, brown sugar, and black pepper together in a saucepan over medium-low heat; stir until the sugar dissolves, bring to a simmer, and cook until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Saute mushrooms in hot butter until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir into the simmering sauce.
- Pour the mushrooms and sauce over the chicken strips and toss to coat.
- Cook's Notes:
- Try apple juice instead of pineapple for a less-sweet version.
- For a thicker sauce, whisk 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons cornstarch together and stir into the sauce while it simmers.
- Editor's Note:
- YYou can also broil the chicken thighs. Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Lightly grease a roasting pan or sheet pan; arrange chicken in pan and broil, turning once, about 15 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the largest thigh should reach at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Per Serving: 324 calories; 17.1 g fat; 10.1 g carbohydrates; 26.3 g protein; 98 mg cholesterol; 424 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
I rearranged the steps with making the pineapple/soy/whiskey sauce first. Then sliced each thigh with an X and placed in a plastic bag with the marinade and let sit for 6hr. or so in the refri...
I was trying to replicate a sweet whiskey sauce that a local restaurant uses for their chicken sandwich. I found this recipe and thought it might be close. There are a few things I did different...
WOW! Made this exactly as receipe called for. We used Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey for the bourbon whiskey. We made rice and grilled veggies (a blend of green peppers, onions, carrots, & brussel ...
Phenomenal and so easy. I didn’t have pineapple juice so I used 1 1/2 cups of orange juice plus one fresh lemon squeezed in. This was a hit!!
We made this exactly as the recipe said, we loved it and will make it again very soon!
Will make this again. Instead of all pineapple juice i used 1/2 cup pineapple and 1/2 cup honey. Did not add the brown sugar. I had rotisserie chicken which i used in place of the chicken thighs...
I will give this a solid four stars. I did not have fresh mushrooms available so I used canned. Better than no 'shrooms! Next time we will definitely serve this over hot rice.