Ingredients3 h 10 m servings 91 cals
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Line a colander with cheese cloth and place over a large pot in the sink.
- Gently mix buttermilk and cream together in a 2-quart ceramic casserole dish.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into the prepared colander; drain for 45 to 60 minutes. Transfer drained cheese to a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth and creamy. Store in the refrigerator.
- Cook's Note:
- Do not use low-fat buttermilk. It will not work well.
- Add some freshly cut chives, a couple cloves of minced garlic, onions, salt, and pepper for taste and you have a basic krauter(herbal) quark, a great spread right on your favorite bread or roll.
- For cheesecake, let it drain a little longer.
- It can be made using a yogurt maker, but this is an overnight procedure. This is a quicker way that yields pretty much the same product.
Per Serving: 91 calories; 5.5 g fat; 3.7 g carbohydrates; 2.4 g protein; 19 mg cholesterol; 77 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Here is my version of perfect quark. I use Costco's Plain Greek Yoghurt 32 oz size and drain it on cheese cloth for about 12 hours. It comes out perfect to use in recipes and looks and tastes ...
Itoo lived in Austria and have recipes. I always use Magerquark (topen) and found a similar recipe. It works with whole milk, 2%, 1%, and even skimmed milk. Difference is quantity when finish...
I have lived in Germany for many years and have lots of recipes that require Quark! I never know what to use when in the US....thanks for helping everyone who wants to cook real German food....B...
I was skeptical at first that this would actually separate to make cheese, but i followed the instructions exactly and it turned out wonderfully!, great texture and a lovely soft mild cheese, an...
I just got finished and am pleasantly surprised how good it tastes even though I have not cooled it in the refrigerator yet. This made my day. Thank you for shearing this recipe!!
This recipe was the easiest and best I found online! Worked perfect!