Not-So-Corny Tamale Pie
Ingredients40 m servings 571 cals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat; saute onion until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add ground beef; cook and stir until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 10 minutes. Mix pinto beans and black beans into beef mixture.
- Sprinkle Mexican cheese blend over beef-bean mixture; stir. Mix diced tomatoes with green chile peppers into beef-bean mixture.
- Mix corn bread mix, milk, and eggs together in a bowl until batter is smooth. Spread batter over top of beef-bean mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cornbread comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Bake the pie in a 2-quart baking dish or 9x13-inch baking dish if you don't have a cast-iron skillet.
Per Serving: 571 calories; 25 g fat; 58.2 g carbohydrates; 28.4 g protein; 110 mg cholesterol; 1611 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This was a great base recipe. A friend of mine made something very similar with ground italian sausage instead of ground beef. The spiciness was great. I also add in some salsa and more chillies...
I changed an awful lot--late and I didn't have everything. It's a long way to the store. So, after that - it was great, and fast! I used refried beans in place of both cans of beans having neit...
This is a great recipe. It's really versatile. You can use tons of add ins, even in the cornbread mix. I definitely recommend adding in the cheese!
I often forget that it calls for pinto beans so we get it with extra black beans (I love that part, family hates it). Really good either way. SUPER EASY recipe!