Ingredients9 h 40 m servings 242
- Place black-eyed peas into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand for 8 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse peas.
- Combine peas, onion, tomato sauce, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, salt, cumin, paprika, ginger, and cayenne pepper in a stockpot; pour 3 1/2 cups water over pea mixture. Bring water to a boil, decrease heat to low, cover pot, and simmer, stirring occasionally and adding more water if sauce gets too thick, until peas are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- If using fresh picked peas, omit soaking process and reduce cook time by half.
- Fresh parsley can be substituted for fresh cilantro. Hungarian paprika can be substituted for sweet paprika.
- Quick-soak method for peas: add washed peas to pot of boiling water; immediately remove from heat and soak for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 242 calories; 14.1 22.6 8.1 0 593 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 21
Tasty! I did modify, only to make it easier for me. Here is what I did - sub one 6 oz can tomato paste for the tomato sauce, adjust to 2 cups water. Cooked in the slow cooker low 7 hours uncove...
I was looking for a way to use my fresh cowpeas. This recipe is it, delicious! I of course did add some other ingredients, like fresh okra and tomatoes and some ham. My husband and I loved it an...
I'm not a black eyed pea fan at all, the BF loved these and I liked them! I doubled all the seasonings but used half the peas. I didn't see a need for the oil and used veg broth for added body t...
Needed something to do with lots of farmer's market purple hull peas and this is the ticket! So good!
We loved it. I was looking for a recipe for black-eyed peas because I had some cans kicking around in the pantry. I used 2 15 ounce cans and reduced to 1/2 cup water. I didn't have tomato sauce...
This was good. I'm not too familiar with making black eyed peas and look forward to making them again. I would add some garlic next time.
We loved this. I substituted fresh parsley for the cilantro because my wife is one of those people that tastes soap when she has cilantro. I also substituted regular paprika + a pinch of l...
I have never had black-eyed peas before but I'm always trying things in an effort to eat healthier so I purchased a bag of dry beans and went searching for a recipe. I came across this one and...