Ingredients9 h 40 m servings 242
- Place black-eyed peas into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand for 8 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse peas.
- Combine peas, onion, tomato sauce, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, salt, cumin, paprika, ginger, and cayenne pepper in a stockpot; pour 3 1/2 cups water over pea mixture. Bring water to a boil, decrease heat to low, cover pot, and simmer, stirring occasionally and adding more water if sauce gets too thick, until peas are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- If using fresh picked peas, omit soaking process and reduce cook time by half.
- Fresh parsley can be substituted for fresh cilantro. Hungarian paprika can be substituted for sweet paprika.
- Quick-soak method for peas: add washed peas to pot of boiling water; immediately remove from heat and soak for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 242 calories; 14.1 22.6 8.1 0 593 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 15
Tasty! I did modify, only to make it easier for me. Here is what I did - sub one 6 oz can tomato paste for the tomato sauce, adjust to 2 cups water. Cooked in the slow cooker low 7 hours uncove...
I was looking for a way to use my fresh cowpeas. This recipe is it, delicious! I of course did add some other ingredients, like fresh okra and tomatoes and some ham. My husband and I loved it an...
Needed something to do with lots of farmer's market purple hull peas and this is the ticket! So good!
We loved it. I was looking for a recipe for black-eyed peas because I had some cans kicking around in the pantry. I used 2 15 ounce cans and reduced to 1/2 cup water. I didn't have tomato sauce...
This was good. I'm not too familiar with making black eyed peas and look forward to making them again. I would add some garlic next time.
We loved this. I substituted fresh parsley for the cilantro because my wife is one of those people that tastes soap when she has cilantro. I also substituted regular paprika + a pinch of l...
I'm not a black eyed pea fan at all, the BF loved these and I liked them! I doubled all the seasonings but used half the peas. I didn't see a need for the oil and used veg broth for added body t...