Flank Steak Roulade
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 25 m servings 352 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Butterfly the steak by cutting horizontally into the long side of the steak, through the middle, to within one-half inch of the other side. Open the steak and spread the sides out like an open book. Cover the steak with plastic wrap and pound it with a meat mallet to give it an even surface. Discard the plastic wrap.
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Scatter 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, parsley, currants, and pine nuts over the steak; season with cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes. Spread slices on the steak and sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and remaining bread crumbs over the top.
- Roll up meat firmly, starting at a cut-end, and set seam-side down. Use kitchen twine to tie steak at 1-inch intervals. Season with salt.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook steak until brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Pour tomato sauce, chicken broth, white wine, and bay leaf into the pot; add enough water to just cover the steak. Bring liquid to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover pot with a lid, and braise until meat is fork-tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Transfer meat to a plate to rest for 10 minutes before slicing across the grain.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook liquid until it is reduced and slightly thicker, about 10 minutes. Spoon sauce over sliced beef.
Per Serving: 352 calories; 17.1 g fat; 18.9 g carbohydrates; 23.1 g protein; 52 mg cholesterol; 1638 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1