Ingredients30 m servings 598 cals
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat; add pine nuts. Cook and stir pine nuts until fragrant and toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Pour enough water into a skillet to reach a 1-inch depth; bring to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove asparagus from skillet, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Set aside 1/2 cup asparagus tips.
- Blend remaining asparagus, pine nuts, reserved 1/2 cup cooking water, 1/2 cup basil, olive oil, garlic, salt, black pepper in a blender until smooth, keeping the center piece of lid removed to release steam. Add Pecorino-Romano cheese; blend until smooth.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook orecchiette pasta in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Drain and return pasta to pot.
- Slice the remaining 1/4 cup basil. Add sliced basil, asparagus sauce, reserved asparagus tips to pasta; toss to evenly mix. Garnish with extra Pecorino-Romano cheese.
- Cook's Note:
- If using thin asparagus, cut each stalk crosswise in half. If using medium asparagus, cut stalks into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
Per Serving: 598 calories; 18.9 g fat; 89.8 g carbohydrates; 20.4 g protein; 3 mg cholesterol; 647 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I thought the pesto was a little bland, would definitely add more garlic for flavor if I made it again.
I needed a side for some steak and had defrosted noodles and asparagus. Buttered noodles sounded bland and we never finish our asparagus. I am not a huge fan of it. I thought about making a p...