'Meat's Too Expensive!' Vegetarian Burgers
Ingredients50 m servings 195 cals
- Pour enough water into a pot that will cover lentils and wheat germ; bring to a boil. Add lentils and wheat germ, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more water if needed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pot from heat and cool slightly; mash lentil mixture until thick and lumpy.
- Transfer mashed lentil mixture to a bowl. Mix onion, green bell pepper, mozzarella cheese, egg, green chile pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper into lentil mixture until thoroughly mixed; shape into 8 patties.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Lower heat to medium-high and cook 4 patties in the hot oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
- Cook's Notes:
- Chicken or vegetable stock can be used in place of (or in addition to) water for boiling lentils and wheat germ.
- Cracked wheat can be used in place of wheat germ.
- Cheddar cheese or kashkawan cheese can be substituted for mozzarella cheese.
- Sunflower oil can be substituted for vegetable oil.
Per Serving: 195 calories; 9 g fat; 19.8 g carbohydrates; 9.7 g protein; 26 mg cholesterol; 35 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
These were surprisingly really good!!! I think I 'd like mine in a pita pocket topped with yogurt or hummus. I made a few slight changes in that I left out the cheese, used oats instead of wha...