Carrot Cake with Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients10 h 5 m servings 398
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together in a bowl. Lightly beat eggs in a bowl; add white sugar, buttermilk, applesauce, oil, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and mix well. Stir buttermilk mixture, carrots, pecans, and drained pineapple into flour mixture just until mixed; pour into prepared dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cake in baking dish on a wire rack, about 1 hour. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 8 hours to overnight.
- Beat Neufchatel cheese and 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice together in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth; add confectioners' sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 pinch salt and beat until frosting is smooth. Spread frosting on cake.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute 1/4 cup silken tofu for eggs if desired.
- Two 8- or 9-inch baking pans can be used instead of 9x13-inch if desired. The next day, gently remove cakes from the pans and prepare to frost them.
- Walnuts can be used in place of pecans.
Per Serving: 398 calories; 13.3 66.6 5.4 34 329 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Delicious! Made this in 2-9" round pans (cooled completely before removing from pans). I also made extra frosting, so I could use it to pipe borders (I did omit the salt from the frosting). Ever...
My only caveat when making this is to watch the baking time. I used a 9 x 13 inch pan and my cake was done in 40 minutes. Other than skipping the salt in the frosting as Christina recommended...
This cake gets a definite 5. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it! The applesauce took away any need for more oil, the pineapple is always a hit. I added dried cranberries and golden raisi...
Made this cake for a friends 60th Birthday. Everyone LOVED it. Thanks for a great low fat version. Will share with others and make it again.