Baked Spoon Bread
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 415
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a casserole or souffle dish.
- Combine cream, butter, sugar, honey, and salt in a saucepan over low heat; cook and stir until butter melts, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly stir cornmeal into cream mixture until thickened but not boiling, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour cornmeal mixture into a large bowl.
- Beat egg yolks, 1 at a time, into cornmeal mixture, ensuring egg yolk is fully incorporated before adding the next. Stir baking powder and white pepper into cornmeal-egg yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites in a glass or metal bowl until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form sharp peaks. Fold egg whites into cornmeal-egg yolk mixture; pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and puffed, about 35 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you do not have cornmeal then you can often substitute flour or cornstarch for it. But it all depends on the recipe. I would usually use cornstarch.
- Half-and-half can be used in place of the light cream.
- If you don't have white pepper, you can use black pepper.
- You can also put bacon or pineapple or whatever you like in it.
- You can put any kind of meat that is shredded, pulled apart, and cooked.
Per Serving: 415 calories; 30.7 27.4 8.7 210 418 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I used to go to town with my Mom 50 years ago and we always ate at the S&W Cafeteria in Lynchburg Va. I always got spoon bread and love it. This recipe tastes and lloks just like that wonderfu...