Grandma Rita's Soft Butter Rolls
Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 47
- Pour milk into a glass 2-cup measuring cup and heat in the microwave until it starts to boil and climb the sides, about 1 minute. Add butter, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt to the scalded milk; set aside to cool until it gets below 110 degrees F (45 degrees C).
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water in a large bowl. Let stand until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 10 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture into the yeast mixture; add 2 cups bread flour and egg. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition, until the dough is smooth and a little tacky.
- Turn dough out onto a sheet of flour-dusted waxed paper and lightly knead to pull dough together; shape into a ball. Place dough in a large, lightly-oiled bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide dough into thirds. Break each third into six evenly sized balls and arrange onto prepared baking sheet. Cover balls with a towel to rise further for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.
Per Serving: 47 calories; 3.1 4.2 1.1 17 156 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 49
LOVE these rolls...I don't change a thing...but I do put them in my bread maker on dough setting. So easy! Thanks, Lela! I have made these 5 times already and I am "yeast impaired"...they always...
Lela - these rolls are FANTASTIC! One of my biggest thrills from being on AR is What's for dinner, mom?('s) assistance in helping me overcome my fear of using yeast. With her guidance, I've ma...
I made these in my KA and they were delicious. So light and feathery, everyone loved them. Thank you so much for taking the time to preserve this recipe. Thanks Lela!!!
Oh ... these are quite good! They are a breeze to make, making them a go to recipe when you want dinner rolls. Followed directions to the "T", and very happy with the flavor and texture. I will ...
I made these hen it was a personal recipe. I have made them several times since that first review. They are wonderful rolls! So glad it was published. My Review: These were wonderful, Lela! I ...
This is a great recipe. Very easy to do. I have not done bread by hand since I got the bread machine and was very pleased with how easy to pull together and how great they tasted. Thank you L...
I give this 10 stars! Lela - your Grandma made awesome rolls! These were easy to make and baked up so nice and brown, yet are so soft. I pulled them out of the oven and couldn't even wait unti...
These are so good. I don't always do very well with yeast and these turned out pretty good even though I over baked them a bit. Thanks Lela! UPDATE 2014, even better this year, I'm getting use...