Vegetarian Stout French Onion Soup
made it | 0 reviews |
"I love Irish stout stew and French onion soup. Plus my wife is a vegetarian. So I came up with this infusion that is, in my opinion, amazing! Portobello mushrooms replace cubed beef, and it is all topped off with a Swiss cheese-crusted slice of artisan bread, French onion-soup style. Serve with a frosty stout and enjoy! Happy St. Patrick's Day!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 399 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Toss mushrooms and flour together in a bowl until coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir coated mushrooms until browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, and rosemary in a large stockpot; top with cooked mushrooms. Stir beer, vegetable broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper into vegetable mixture. Cover stockpot and cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender and soup flavors have blended, about 1 hour.
- Whisk water and cornstarch together in a bowl until dissolved; stir into soup until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Set oven rack about 5 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle Swiss cheese over each slice.
- Broil bread in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and golden, about 1 minute.
- Ladle soup into bowls using a slotted ladle; top each with a bread slice. Ladle broth over bread until saturated.
Per Serving: 399 calories; 8.4 g fat; 60.4 g carbohydrates; 13.8 g protein; 12 mg cholesterol; 1195 mg sodium. Full nutrition