Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients7 h 45 m servings 430 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place the pinto beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water. Soak beans 15 minutes; drain and rinse.
- Heat bacon grease in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir salt pork in hot grease for 1 minute. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, black pepper, and chipotle powder to salt pork; cook and stir until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Stir smoked sausage, bay leaves, parsley, and thyme into salt pork mixture; cook and stir until sausage is browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Stir beans into sausage mixture and add enough water to cover the beans. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and transfer beans mixture to a slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 1 hour. Reduce to Low and cook until beans are tender, adding water as necessary, about 6 hours more.
- Mash about 1/4 the beans against the side of the slow cooker crock with the back of a heavy spoon. Continue cooking on Low until beans are tender and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove bay leaves.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 430 calories; 20.7 g fat; 41.2 g carbohydrates; 19.6 g protein; 30 mg cholesterol; 555 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2