Chef John's Whole Wheat Ciabatta
Ingredients18 h 15 m servings 135 cals
- Stir 1 cup warm water, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup rye flour, and yeast together in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit until the sponge bubbles and doubles in volume, 5 to 6 hours. Watch Now
- Stir 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 water, sunflower seeds, polenta, flax seeds, salt, and honey into sponge with a wooden spoon until a very sticky dough ball forms, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the the sides of the bowl, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let dough rise until doubled in volume, 10 hours to overnight. Watch Now
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust parchment paper with 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour and cornmeal. Watch Now
- Scrape dough out of bowl onto a lightly floured work surface, press down to remove air, and form into a smooth oval loaf. Place dough on the prepared baking sheet. Dust top of loaf lightly with flour, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Watch Now
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Place a baking dish filled with water on the bottom rack of the oven. Watch Now
- Remove plastic wrap from risen dough and mist the top of the dough with water. Watch Now
- Bake loaf in the preheated oven, misting the top of the loaf with water every 8 to 10 minutes, until loaf is golden and sounds hollow when tapped, 30 to 35 minutes total. Transfer bread to a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing. Watch Now
Per Serving: 135 calories; 1.6 g fat; 26.6 g carbohydrates; 4.5 g protein; < 1 mg cholesterol; 349 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
We followed Chef John's video with his "sexy cold voice" to make a version of this amazing no knead bread! It is so good! Super easy to make. Put it together at 9:00PM and let it set until 3:...
I baked these today and they turned so good, however I used a little less time for spong and dough fermentation that could be the reason the loaf does not have much open crumb. I have sponge goi...
Delicious! Crisp crust, delicious flavor. I will make this again and again. Gone in 2 days! Easy recipe.
Thanks Chef John for this wonderful recipe my family loves how it turned out my beautiful ciabatta bread. It is so flat cause I exceeded the proofing time so next time I will make it oval shape.