Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 40 m servings 304
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Grind snapper meat and trout meat in a meat grinder set to the smallest grind. Process fish meat through the grinder again.
- Place reserved fish heads, skin, and bones in a large pot. Add water, onion, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, and 1 pinch white sugar; bring mixture to a boil and cook until flavors combine, at least 30 minutes. Strain and discard fish heads, skin, bones, and onion. Return broth to the pot.
- Beat ground fish, eggs, onion, water, matzo meal, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon white pepper in a large bowl with an electric mixture until mixture is soft and holds together. Using wet hands, form fish mixture into oblong 1-inch balls.
- Gently drop fish balls into broth, adding more water as necessary to completely cover all of the fish. Cover the pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat, uncover the pot, and simmer until stock has reduced by half, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add carrot rounds, cover, and steam until tender but firm to the bite, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove fish to a serving dish. Place 1 carrot slice on top of each fish ball. Pour broth over the fish balls and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate until broth gels, at least 2 hours.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Ask the fish market to fillet the fish for you, saving the heads, skin, and bones. Have him grind the fish for you on his small grinder twice.
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the broth ingredients. The actual amount of broth consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 304 calories; 8 6.9 48.4 189 1317 Full nutrition