Easy Cowboy Beans (Frijoles Charros)
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 194
- Combine pinto beans, tomatoes with green chile peppers, ham, cilantro, red onion, garlic, black pepper, and hot sauce in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Cook's Note:
- This dish can also be made in a slow cooker.
- One-half cup beer (dark Mexican beer like Negra Modelo® or Dos Equis® if possible) can be added to make borrachos (drunken beans).
- Bacon and/or sausage can be added to make a heartier version.
- Substitute 1 teaspoon minced garlic from the jar for fresh garlic cloves if desired.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 194 calories; 5.4 25.2 11.8 13 913 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 17
My husband loved it! When I make it again, and I will, I will make it milder somehow because it was too spicy-hot for those in my family who do not enjoy spicy food. Thank you for posting a quic...
I've doubled, tripled, even quadrupled this recipe many times for my family and for large groups. I'm able to buy the really large cans of pinto beans and Rotel tomatoes where I live, which mak...
These are so easy to make and so tasty. Gave them a fairly healthy shot of Trader Joe's Chili Pepper Sauce, and they had just the right amount of heat for us. Followed the recipe except for the...
An excellent tasting bean recipe. I omitted the cilantro and used regular petite diced tomatoes and added a small can of green chilies. Though it takes a little more time, I use dry pinto be...
i made it but substituted the ham for smoked bacon for a different flavor. really good loved it.
sautéed onions/garlic in bacon fat, added all ingredients, then added beef bullion and liquid smoke. Big hit.
Super easy and great flavor- I did add half a bottle of beer and let this simmer for several hours before serving.