Goat and Butternut Squash Stew
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 473 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Mix cumin, coriander, ginger, sweet paprika, smoked sweet paprika, smoked hot paprika, and chile powder together in a bowl.
- Rub goat shank with about 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat coconut oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until melted and shimmering. Cook goat shank in hot oil until browned as completely as you can get it, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove shank to a bowl, reserving oil in the skillet.
- Reduce heat under the skillet to low. Cook and stir onion in the retained oil until soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Add butternut squash and garlic; cook and stir until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the cumin mixture over the squash mixture; cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Stir tomatoes, water, cinnamon stick, and saffron into the squash mixture; return goat shank to the Dutch oven, bring the liquid to a simmer, and cook until the goat meat is tender and falling from the bone, 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Remove shank from Dutch oven to a cutting board. Strip meat from the bone and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bone. Stir meat into the squash mixture, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the meat is reheated, about 5 minutes.
Per Serving: 473 calories; 14 g fat; 24.8 g carbohydrates; 60.8 g protein; 159 mg cholesterol; 499 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Tasted delicious (I did forget to add the cinnamon and saffron until it was already eaten up, but I think it would taste great either way)! I used 1 lb of boneless cubed goat meat and made this ...